bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Friday, October 26, 2007

My Secret Vice

Okay, confession time.
About two months ago, The Husband and I got a ::whisper:: computer game. Which was nothing special, really, give that The Husband gets computer games in a semi-regular basis and plays them, too. Mostly strategy games, the Total War series in particular (hey, he's a military historian, so it's actually research.) But this time, when we picked up the new expansion for the medieval era volume of the series, he also pointed out to me the Neverwinter Nights 2 RPG, and said: "Well, you kind of liked the first one, just never finished playing, how about giving this one a shot?" And, after my usual 'why should I really give money for this' hesitation, we purchased it, and headed home to try.
The Total War expansion I think he played for two times total: it is just not what we expected. NWN2 though...well, first of all, it did not run on the desktop (NEED MORE MEMORY!!!), so he installed it on his laptop. And gave it a try.
And then I gave it a try.
And then...

Let me just say that this game gave me the final push to give in and get a laptop all for myself this soon, as opposed to end of the year as I planned? Let me just say we also got a second copy of the game, just for me?
Let me just say that I spend hours online getting walkthrough advice, hints and tips...
Let me just say that I am enjoying myself immensely with the really, really cool conversational and situational, actual role-play engine this baby has?
Complete, of course, with the obligatory blue-eyed, dark-haired, too-good-to-be-true holy warrior-paladin love interest for the main player character (guys have their own romance option, too, just to be fair, but man, this one is really well written...)
last night I wanted to go to bed early, but I got into a spot where we really just had a good going with my party to advance the plot and do some actual good, gather-the-clues, interact-with-locals-and-party while trying to clear my good name from false accusations (yes, an actual investigation and murder trial is actually written into the game as part of the main plot, and really carefully done, too...)--soooo, I looked up around midnight in a kind of a haze, stared at The Husband who was sitting by the library table creating a brand new character for his own game, and said: "WAAAH...these dire animals were a total pushover...I think I need to go to sleep now and get the clues back to Neverwinter tomorrow."
To which he replied, not raising his eyes from the monitor:
" 'kay, I finish this conversation here and follow you too...my warlock/fighter looks like a winner."
:-)

6 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Madeleine said...

ok - I checked out their website and I definitely need to stay away from it if I ever want to get anything done. it looks *so* addictive and I don't even really like rpg's :-)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Convivialdingo said...

Yup... same here. If I played a game so utterly cool I would be totally engrossed and forget to shower for 3 weeks.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Yep, I had the first 'hey, I am here you know' speech from The Husband yesterday, too, so better watch it...:-)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger lisamarlene said...

Neverwinter is evil. I've had to put my copy away until I'm done with school. It's a massive study hazard.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Heh. Another fellow sufferer...I swear I woke up this morning with the absolute conviction that I screwed up the development of my fighter dwarf NPC b/c I did not give him some other feat than Dwarwen Greataxe. This is bad...

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Vincent G said...

Thankks for posting this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home