bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Curry-Chicken Salad

For those dog days of summer when you really don't want to slave in the kitchen.
You will need:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked or grilled, cut into small cubes
3 Gala apples (try to find the firmer ones; if organic, just scrub the apples very well, if not, peel), cored and cubed
6 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into small cubes
16 oz. sour cream
2-3 tsp. curry powder
salt to taste

Mix cubed ingredients in large salad bowl.
Mix sour cram and curry powder in another mixing bowl. Pour over other ingredients, stir well, taste, salt if needed. Chill in refrigerator for an hour before serving on salad leaves. Garnish with crusty brown bread.

Optional additional ingredients:
walnut pieces
raisins/ grapes

It is fast and really refreshing...I made this over the weekend when it hit the 100 degree mark here in Irving. The recipe originates in the small deli at the Central European University in Budapest, where years ago (I hope they still have the business), a young couple tok over the deli operations and started to feature more healthy fare such as cold salads and fruit smoothies. This was one of their standbys, and first time I sampled it, I asked the young lady for the recipe. She told me it was REALLY simple. It is, really, and every time I make it, I remember that first time I had it in probably one of the very few air conditioned buildings in Budapest in the 1990s.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looked and smelled really good, anyway.. hehe. I'll have to make some now. ;)

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to make that, it sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home