bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Future of Music?

The sound of music...a bit differently. An interesting article about the future of the music industry, music downloads, iPods and subscription services. As one who only recently had been bit by the download music bug (but then oh boy I was bit), I find these musings very enlightening. The music I like is usually hard to find in ordinary stores, so for me, and a lot of those who like 'niche genres' the download/subscription services are a better alternative.
I used to order CDs online, but after comparing costs, I found it really expensive--these days I only do it when I cannot find if in the usual dowload service sites cheaper, which is almost always the case.

2 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Convivialdingo said...

Subscription for Apple?

Not for Music - perhaps for Video, and definitely if they launch some sort of Streaming Content Channels.

The music industry hates Apple... they feel like idiots for giving away their distribution channel. It's essentially a double-edged sword whereby the best seller of music is also their most demanding customer.

Apple sets the prices and provides the market for the only growth channel in the Music industry - everything else (CD, Vinyl, etc...) is a shrinking business. It still outsells online but I don't imagine that lasting another 20 years.

I don't see any way to beat Apple at the music business - other than mutual destruction. Even then - Apple has been picking up lots of Indie artists and they could probably survive by picking up big acts through separate labels.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

No, I am with you...I switched exclusively to downloading from iTunes after comparing selections and prices...but if they eventually start the subscription route, I'll be there. I can justify 1-2 albums in one-two months right now, for 10 bucks plus tax each. If the subscription would be on par with what I pay for Netflix, but with unlimited dowloads...I'd SO do it. Their selection is still the best I was able to find for my niche.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home