bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

On The Husband, Teaching

I crashed The Husband's 1302 History class yesterday morning at 0900am at Collin County Community College. We were to depart for the annual WestFest in West, TX in the afternoon after his class, and timing-wise this was just the prudent thing to do. So I took a seat in the back and thought I can just be observant and quiet and unobtrusive...
Of course, I did not count (silly me!) with the fact that this was The Husband's class...:-)
He likes class participation... So soon I found myself in a group of three students arguing about the Reconstruction. It was very illuminating, halfway observing and halfway taking part in the class.
He's a good teacher, The Husband is, I had to really realize on Saturday and I am very glad that finally, after so many years of searching, he found his element where he's really at home and at ease. I am even happier that all of his class evaluations from last semester (he teaches in three counties) agree with me--so it's not just the wifely bias speaking here.

5 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger JimDesu said...

It's his class and all, but somehow injecting you into the intra-class discussions sounds both inappropriate (due to your relationship w/ the instructor) and unfair to both you and the students.

Observation & participation aren't exactly the same deal.... Glad you don't seem to have minded to much, but I suspect I'll avoid the same honor myself.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Jim, I was NOT announced as his wife. I came in, sat down, students around me were sitting in the same row...unless I sit out on the side totally setting myself aside from the, this is not an option in a classroom setting like this was....Class participation at that point, as a perceived student, is pretty much a given. If you come in, look at everyone and say: 'hey, I am his brother, I am just going to sit here and not even interact with you' that is your choice. I though it was perfectly fine.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

And by the way, you do realize that when you are saying 'inappropriate' you are accusing us in writing, of inappropriate conduct in public? Sitting in on classes is an encouraged practice in academia, and as long as you have the instructor's permission, you can sit in on any class you want.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger JimDesu said...

Well if the fact that you're his spouse was concealed, that's quite different.

In general, though, jeez -- decaff, perhaps? It's not like I'm the Spanish Inquisition! :o)

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger JimDesu said...

Clearly I need to invent a smiley for "huhh" that doesn't imply condemnation. How bout :Y ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home