bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Music I Am Listening To

It was only natural that after I had the chance to attand her concert in Dallas, I purchased Loreena McKennitt's latest CD/DVD compilation, Nights from the Alhambra. It is flawless and lovely, and she even has a previously unreleased song on it: an almost heartbreaking rendition of Patrick Kavanagh's poem set to music by The Dubliners'Luke Kelly-Raglan Road.
She performed it at her concert here as well--she finally managed to eradicate that awful rendition that Sinead O'Connor produced a few years back that was the only one I heard previously...::shudder::


On Raglan Road of an Autumn day
I saw her first and knew,
That her dark hair would weave a snare
That I might someday rue.
I saw the danger and I passed
Along the enchanted way.
And I said,"Let grief be a fallen leaf
At the dawning of the day."

On Grafton Street in November, we
Tripped lightly along the ledge
Of a deep ravine where can be seen
The worth of passion play.
The Queen of Hearts still making tarts
And I not making hay;
Oh, I loved too much and by such and such
Is happiness thrown away.

I gave her gifts of the mind,
I gave her the secret signs,
That's known to the artists who have known
The true gods of sound and stone.
And her words and tint without stint
I gave her poems to say
With her own name there and her own dark hair
Like clouds over fields of May.

On a quiet street where old ghosts meet
I see her walking now,
And away from me so hurriedly
My reason must allow.
That I had loved, not as I should
A creature made of clay,
When the angel woos the clay, he'll lose
His wings at the dawn of day.

1 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Blogger Geoff Rynex said...

I was just searching these lyrics for a different recording of this. If you liked this, then you should try to check out Glen Hansard's version with the swell season. It was one of the most incredible things i've ever heard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home