bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Only In America...

Several times last week and this, I hear this commercial on the radio as I am getting out of the shower. It starts with happy cheerful circus music, then an elephant trumpets, and a dramatic male voice says: "What if an elephant escapes from the circus and tramples the VERY ground you are standing on? What would your family do?" I swear, he says this...
THEN the cheerful music with the circus percussion continues in the background, as the male voice changes to his more explanatory tone and continues :"XYZ Funeral Homes has a comprehensive Plan for you to help to prepare for such events..."
And he goes on to detail how the Plan works, what types of forms they provide for you, how to contact XYZ Funeral Homes...ALL THE FRIGGIN' WHILE the cheerful circus music plays in the background.
First I heard this, I thought: "nah, SURELY I am dreaming still, there is NO way this is on public airwaves, let's check....no, I am awake, I am out of shower, this is a towel, this is my shirt, I am up...yep..."
The I shook my head, smiled and murmured one of my mantras I acquired about a year after we moved to the States:
"Only in America..."

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard this the other day, I about wrecked my car. I thought it was horribly tasteless and yet, it was sort of like watching a car wreck, and I just couldn't change the station, and then, to my surprise, I found that I was chuckling about it.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Yep...could not believe I was awake either. And there is that terrible fascination still...Does that mean we are twisted?
I hope so...:-)
Just not sure I'd want to have my funeral organized by these guys...Hm. Or.. maybe I do.
That's really, really...wrong.
Excuse me, while I go and dip in a dose of corporate reality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home