bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Monday, December 08, 2008

Simple But Amazing Apple Pie

Okay, this was GONE within an hour of pulling it out of the oven.
And yes, I cheat with the crust. Sue me...;)

You'll need:
1 package ready-made frozen pie crust (this is a double crust pie)
4-5 large apples (I used Honeycrisps), peeled, cored, sliced thin
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of Ceylon cinnamon (sold as Mexican cinnamon or 'canela' in a lot of grocery stores)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup raisins, plumped in hot water, drained of water

Place one crust in 9-inch pie form. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place apples, sugar, spices and flour in a medium bowl, toss so apples are coated. Add drained raisins, toss to distribute.
Arrange apple slices on crust; they, inevitably, will form a little mound, higher on top. Ignore this.
Pour almost all the butter over apple slices, reserving a bit of it for the top crust.
Place top crust on top. Crimp edges together. Cut 4 slits on top crust for ventillation. Brush top with remaining butter
Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 45 minutes.
This particular pie is best when still hot or warm. I am a purist, so no ice cream--but it's so mooist that it's really not necessary.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Convivialdingo said...

Sounds delicious!! Brittany has the natural knack for breads in the family...

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that sounds fabulous! And I don't even like most fruit pies..;)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Convivial- I can kill yeast about 50% of the time if I am not careful. Only if I heat the kitchen ahead of time and am REALLY careful, I can make good bread. Except in a bread machine--that's why it's so bad that my old one died.

Mexalapotis--it's really that easy; I know I'll make it at least once more before Christmas, so I'll try to save some for you...:) Or maybe you should just show up in my kitchen and make googly eyes...:)

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, I can totally do that. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home