bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tempura-Fried Mushroom Thingy

I am putting this up (rather than the thai curry I made Sunday) because when The Husband came home last night after training, and seen these sitting on the counter, this is what happened:

Him: Ooh...Fried thingy goodness! ::pops one into mouth::
Me: Looks good, innit? Fried mushrooms...::proud look::
Him: ::look of ''I've-JUST-SEEN-CHTULHU". Mushroom spat out, and offered to me::
Me: But...I already brushed my teeth... (this was around 2300)
Him: But I cannot put it back...I already chomped down on it...

The Husband is totally convinced that mushrooms are evil and they will take over the world one day... Actually, he just does not like them, and nothing on this earth can make him think otherwise. I know--I tried.

After this lovely insight into out marital life (for which I am sure you are MUCH grateful, dear reader), I give you the Tempura-Fried Mushroom Thingies of DOOM!

You will need:
1 cup flour (all-purpose is fine)
1 cup ice-cold water (ice-cold is very important!)
1 egg, beaten
1 16 oz. box of small white mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry with paper towel
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
oil for frying

Garnish:
Assorted lettuce leaves
Tartar sauce (yes, I am from Hungary where we eat the fried mushrooms smothered in this, narsty barbarian invaders that we are)- made out of 2 Tblsp. mayo (REAL mayo, you hear me?) 2 Tblsp. sour cream, 1 tsp. mustard, salt and black pepper to taste.


  • Heat oil in large skillet until bubbly but not smoking.
  • Mix beaten egg and ice cold water in a mixing bowl with spoon. Add flour and mix until smooth. Add spices.
  • Dip mushrooms into batter one by one.
  • Drop mushrooms into hot oil and fry until golden brown. You can fry about 6-7 if small at once.
  • Fish out from oil, place on paper towel to drip.
  • Make tartar sauce.
Presentation:
Place lettuce leaves, torn up, on small plate. Dollops of tartar sauce should follow, then mushrooms, then some more tartar sauce.

It is imperative that you eat this with your fingers, mopping up the sauce with the lettuce and the mushrooms as you go. Need some paper towels handy.

Have fun!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger lisamarlene said...

Anna, there is something very strange about a man who will eat raw potatos and the occasional acorn but not a mushroom.
That's just so wrong.
Anyway, I'd be happy to consume whatever is left over! These sound great.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Yep, they are yummy...just make sure you are generous with the spices in the batter. And actually, they are the best when fresh--the tempure part is just not the same once it gets cold and reheated.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger The LQ said...

yes, soggy tempura is sadful.

-- rufel

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if you said nothing?

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Good question. I was too sleepy to actually contemplate that deviousness...:-)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger The LQ said...

stealth-mushrooms!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger lisamarlene said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Jonathon!
:-)

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something I was told by a japanese restaurant owner once about tempura - to make it even better, use carbonated water, and rice flour rather than wheat flour.

I also suspect (from the color of the tempura) that he ground up some Panko (Japanese bread crumbs, an odd orange color) and added them to the mix as well.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Sure thing, I actually added the cayenne to the original recipe; chipotle would just make it "Texas Fried Mushrooms of Doom"...:-) with which I am completely OK .

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger JimDesu said...

Well, we call 'em "muskrats" in our home ('cuz we're silly), and Russ just doesn't know what's good. He won't eat au-gratin potatoes either, for some reason I can't possibly fathom. He'll protest that I won't eat anything with anice, but that's just 'cuz it comes back up so fast (along with any friends it happened to find while ingested).

Speaking for both Maddie & I, when we get to TX, we'll be happy to "do" muskrats with you.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously though... What kind of malfunction is it to not like mushrooms? If nothing else, they're fun guys. :D seriously though - Without mushrooms, what would a pizza be? just some bread and sauce, and 'lesser' veggies to go with the cheese and meat? how dull. and what about stuffed mushrooms? without the mushrooms they're just stuffed stuff. That is horribly sadful, to steal Rufel's term.

I could understand not wanting to eat the naughty bits of a sea urchin, or despising girl scout cookies for not containing real girl scouts... but mushrooms? The horror.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home