bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

More Hungarian Delicacies...


And this is Oscar, my stuffed owl and traveling companion (according to my sister, who is expert in the field of stuffed animals, the ugliest beast she'd ever seen...and she's right...that's why I like Oscar so much)-with a piece of Turo Rudi, the Hungarian national sweet thing. The Rudi is hard to explain to a non-Hungarian. I mean: if I tell you that it has a core of sweetened curd cheese covered in dark chocolate with occassionally added fruit jam inner layer (shown with apricot to match Oscar's plumage in this case)...I strongly suspect that a large percentage of my Dear Readers will go :Ewww!- and never even think about trying. The trick is NOT to tell the poor sod who is unfortunate enough not being born in my home country what the Rudi contains, and just mysteriously alluding to a 'Hungarian delicacy'.
One of my best memories from my childhood is walking on the main street of the small village with my granddad who was the village's (pop.: 1500) Calvinist minister, saying hello to the old ladies sitting on the benches by their wide gates, slowly reaching the crossroad where the only general store of the village was, and getting, besides the usual bread-butter-planting seeds-matches run, my regular two Rudis, bright polka-dots and all, and eating it while walking back to the house, because they melt if you wait in the summer for too long.
Yum.

UPDATE: Upon more careful observation, the Rudi in question turns out to be with raisins, not with apricot jelly. It is, however, matching Oscar's plumage still. The apricot jelly ones, if I remember correctly, were GONE at this point from the fridge. And my Dad bought these in sixpacks like beer. Granted, he also nibbed some.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

::drool::

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger JimDesu said...

Maddie think's your owl is cute. :0)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Well, yes, stupid AND cute...and thank you, Maddie!

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, indeedy, Oscar is muy cute; it's like he's an uber-cute spokes-owl for Rudi...

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger lisamarlene said...

Sorry, Anna, this is the first food thing you've ever written about that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in trying.
At least not with raisins.
As for Oscar, if you, Rufel, and Audie were the Powerpuff Girls, he'd make a great substitute for Octi.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The raisin part does sound disgusting.. but then, i wouldn't wish raisins on my worst enemy. yuck.

Is the cheese sort of ricotta ish in consistency?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home