bunny?

...gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight... musings of a hungarian in texas

©2003 by Annamaria Kovacs. All contents of this blog are the property of the author. Use with written permission only.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Right Book For The Season

My friend Mexalapotis gave me this book two weks ago (THANK YOU!!) and I finally got around starting it as it came to the top of my bookpile (I have a big one, right next to my bed) this weekend: Mark Ferrari's The Book of Joby.

It's his first book--but it's hard to believe. I am not going to spoil it for you-here is M's review of it from her blog. But together with the movie Hogfather and its book original from Mr. Pratchett, I think I'll keep this as a yearly Advent/Christmas reading and as a reminder of all the good things in this world, all the hopes, beauties and why it's good to be human.

It's not an easy read in an emotional sense, and it manages it without being emo, preachy or overly chicklit, which The H actually asked me about as he noticed how my reading pattern of this differed from other books I got in The Pile. I literally can't do more than about ten-fifteen pages in one sitting without putting it down and starting to think and get lost in my thoughts or actually break down in tears. But oh, it's worth it.

6 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are enjoying it! I loved it. :)

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no, it is not "chick lit". I don't usually do "chick lit". I actually thought it was a good comparison piece to I, Lucifer. :)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Yep, although I prefer this one, I must confess.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed I, Lucifer, but I really loved The Book of Joby. I liked it much better, and I think it was because of all the great character interactions. There were more likable characters in The Book of Joby. And I loved the way Mark Ferrari portrays God.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

Oh, the fish grilling scene at the beach in the beginning of the book was priceless! I kept hearing Tommy Lee JOnes' voice...:)

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I kept casting people in roles as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home